Cultural Studies: Media, Power, Education and the Truly Educated Person
📖 BLOG OVERVIEW — FOUR SECTIONS, ONE ARGUMENT
Media and Power
How media shapes reality
Role of Education
The truly educated person
Cultural Practices
Representation and identity
Critical Media
Active consumption
Reflection
Personal critical growth
Dilip Barad Sir's blog post "Cultural Studies: Media, Power and Truly Educated Person" provides an insightful framework for understanding the relationship between media, culture, power, representation and education. The blog encourages us to move beyond the conventional understanding of media as merely a source of information and entertainment. Instead, it presents media as a cultural institution that can influence how individuals understand reality, identity, social relations and power.
The discussion becomes particularly significant in the contemporary digital age, where newspapers, television, websites, social media platforms, video-sharing applications and AI-generated content have become integral parts of everyday life. From a Cultural Studies perspective, these forms of media are not neutral spaces. They participate in the production and circulation of meanings.
The blog also introduces the idea of the "truly educated person." Drawing upon Noam Chomsky's ideas, it suggests that genuine education involves independent inquiry, creative autonomy, the ability to formulate serious questions and the willingness to examine established assumptions. This idea has encouraged me to reconsider education not simply as the acquisition of degrees or information, but as the development of critical consciousness.
1. Media and Power
The blog articulates a strong relationship between media and power in contemporary society. It emphasizes that the study of Cultural Studies cannot be separated from the study of power because media can become one of the important means through which power operates. The blog discusses various forms of media, including print, radio, television, electronic media, digital media and social media. It also introduces Noam Chomsky and Edward Herman's concept of the Five Filters of Mass Media: media ownership, advertising, media elite, flak and the construction of a common enemy.
This discussion changed my understanding of media. Earlier, I mainly considered media as a means of receiving news, entertainment and information. However, the blog made me realise that media can also influence the way I perceive reality, culture, people and social issues. Media does not simply tell us what happened; through selection, framing and repetition, it can influence how we understand what happened.
For example, two media platforms may report the same public event but emphasize completely different aspects of it. One platform may give importance to a particular issue, while another may ignore it or give it relatively less attention. Therefore, representation is never completely independent of the structures through which it is produced.
In contemporary society, this relationship has become even more complicated because of digital platforms and algorithms. I do not have to deliberately search for information every time. News, advertisements, opinions, videos and political commentary can appear automatically on my social-media feed. If I repeatedly watch content about a particular topic, the platform may continue recommending similar material. This can gradually create an environment in which I encounter one particular perspective more frequently than others.
This makes me ask an important Cultural Studies question:
Who decides what becomes visible, important and meaningful?
During major public events or elections, for instance, I may encounter very different interpretations depending upon the accounts, channels or platforms that I follow. This does not automatically mean that one interpretation is false and another is true. Rather, it demonstrates that media representation is selective and mediated.
Therefore, I have started asking myself:
🔍 CRITICAL QUESTIONS FOR MEDIA LITERACY
❓ Who created this content?
❓ Why was it created?
❓ Who is the intended audience?
❓ What evidence is provided?
❓ Whose perspective is being represented?
❓ Whose perspective is absent?
❓ What assumptions are being presented as natural or obvious?
These questions demonstrate the connection between representation and power.
Another emerging issue is AI-generated media. As artificial intelligence becomes capable of producing realistic images, voices, videos and texts, it becomes increasingly difficult to judge content merely by its appearance. This makes media literacy an essential component of contemporary Cultural Studies.
Thus, I now understand media not simply as a source of information but as a cultural space where information, representation, technology and power intersect.
2. Role of Education
The Concept of the "Truly Educated Person"
The idea of the "truly educated person" discussed in Dilip Barad Sir's blog made me reconsider the meaning and purpose of education. Traditionally, education is often associated with degrees, marks, examinations, qualifications and the accumulation of knowledge. These aspects are undoubtedly important, but the blog presents a broader and more critical understanding of education.
The blog explains that Cultural Studies encourages students to question one discipline through the findings of another, to "unlearn" certain assumptions, and to understand controversies. It also discusses Chomsky's ideas concerning independent inquiry, creative autonomy, serious questioning and the examination of established doctrines.
This concept challenges the idea that education is simply the successful completion of a syllabus.
As a postgraduate student of English Literature, I can connect this idea with my own academic experience. Studying literature is not merely about remembering authors, publication dates, literary movements and theoretical concepts. When I approach a literary text through Cultural Studies, I can ask questions concerning gender, caste, class, ideology, politics, representation, identity and power.
For example, when I watch a film, I can enjoy its narrative, but I can also critically examine its representation. I can ask:
🎬 CRITICAL QUESTIONS FOR FILM ANALYSIS
❓ Why is one character given authority while another is silenced?
❓ How are women and marginalized communities represented?
❓ What social values does the film reproduce?
❓ Does the film challenge existing stereotypes?
❓ What ideology operates beneath the apparently ordinary narrative?
In this sense, education becomes a process of critical interpretation rather than passive absorption.
Today, information is available almost instantly. A student can search for an answer within seconds. Therefore, simply possessing information cannot be the complete definition of being educated.
For me:
Being educated today means knowing how to evaluate information rather than simply possessing information.
For example, when I encounter a viral claim on Instagram or WhatsApp, I should not accept it merely because thousands of people have shared it. I should investigate its original source, examine the evidence and compare it with reliable sources. The ability to distinguish fact, opinion, interpretation and misinformation has therefore become an essential educational skill.
🎓 A TRULY EDUCATED PERSON TODAY SHOULD POSSESS
Critical Thinking
Question assumptions, examine evidence
Media Literacy
Evaluate sources, recognize misleading representations
Independent Inquiry
Courage to investigate rather than simply accept
Intellectual Openness
Willingness to encounter different perspectives
Questioning Ability
Capacity to formulate meaningful questions
Self-Reflexivity
Examine one's own assumptions and prejudices
Ethical Responsibility
Use and circulate information carefully
Thus, the truly educated person is not necessarily the person who knows the most facts, but the person who knows how to question, evaluate, interpret and produce knowledge responsibly.
3. Cultural Practices and Media Representation
Media has a profound influence on cultural practices and identities. Every day, I encounter representations of beauty, gender, family, relationships, success, language, lifestyle and social status through films, advertisements, television and social media. Repeated representations can gradually make particular cultural values appear natural or normal.
This becomes particularly important in relation to marginalized communities.
Representation is not simply about visibility. The more important question is:
How are people represented?
If a particular social group is repeatedly represented through stereotypes, audiences may begin to associate those stereotypes with the entire community. Such representation can contribute to the normalization of prejudice and unequal power relations.
This is where the Cultural Studies concept of power becomes important. Representation can influence who is regarded as normal, respectable, successful, dangerous, beautiful or socially acceptable. Therefore, cultural representation can contribute to the maintenance of dominant ideologies.
For example, media representations of gender can influence expectations regarding masculinity and femininity. Advertisements may repeatedly associate women with beauty and domestic responsibilities while representing men through authority, economic success or physical strength. When such images are repeated continuously, they can appear to be natural rather than socially constructed.
Similarly, representations of caste, class, ethnicity and other forms of social difference can either reinforce existing stereotypes or challenge them.
However, I do not think media should be understood only as an instrument of domination. It can also function as a space of resistance. Social media has enabled individuals and communities to produce and circulate their own narratives rather than depending completely on traditional media institutions. Independent journalists, filmmakers, writers, activists and ordinary users can challenge dominant representations by presenting alternative experiences and perspectives.
This changes the traditional understanding of media as a one-way communication system. Audiences are not always passive consumers. They can also become producers, interpreters and distributors of cultural meanings.
Therefore, media becomes a site of contestation. Dominant representations may be reproduced, but they can also be questioned and resisted.
This leads me to understand representation as a struggle over meaning:
Who has the power to represent whom, and whose representation becomes socially accepted?
Cultural Studies helps us recognize that everyday media practices are connected with larger questions of ideology, identity and power.
4. Critical Media Consumption
Reflecting on my own media consumption, I realize that media influences my everyday life more deeply than I sometimes recognize. I use social media, watch films and videos, access educational material and encounter information through different digital platforms. Sometimes I actively search for information, while at other times information simply appears on my screen.
One of the most interesting aspects of contemporary media is the power of repetition. A particular video, meme, controversy or news story may suddenly appear repeatedly on different platforms. When I encounter the same topic again and again, I may begin to assume that it must be extremely important.
However:
Repetition does not necessarily make something true.
This realization is important for developing media literacy.
Algorithms can influence the content that appears on my feed. If I interact with a particular type of content, similar content may continue to be recommended. Consequently, my media environment can become narrower without me consciously choosing to make it narrow.
Therefore, I believe that I need to become an active rather than passive media consumer.
Whenever I encounter a viral post or controversial claim, I can ask:
🔎 QUESTIONS TO ASK BEFORE ACCEPTING VIRAL CONTENT
❓ Who created this content?
❓ What is the original source?
❓ Is the information supported by evidence?
❓ Is it fact, opinion or interpretation?
❓ Is the headline exaggerating the actual content?
❓ What information has been left out?
❓ Why am I seeing this content?
❓ Could an algorithm be repeatedly recommending it?
❓ Can I verify the claim through another reliable source?
These questions transform media consumption into a form of critical inquiry.
The issue becomes even more significant with the development of Artificial Intelligence. AI-generated images, videos, voices and texts can appear increasingly realistic. Consequently, I cannot always rely on appearance or sound as evidence of authenticity. I need to investigate the origin, context and credibility of the material.
However, critical media consumption does not mean that I should distrust everything. Rather, it means that I should pause before accepting.
A critical media consumer does not ask only:
"Do I agree with this?"
but also:
"What evidence supports this?"
and:
"How has this message been constructed?"
This is where media literacy becomes connected with the idea of the truly educated person.
Conclusion
Dilip Barad Sir's blog has helped me understand Cultural Studies as an interdisciplinary field concerned with culture, media, representation, ideology, education and power. The blog demonstrates that media is not simply a neutral channel for transmitting information. It can influence what becomes visible, whose voices are heard and how social reality is interpreted.
The discussion of the "truly educated person" is particularly relevant to the contemporary digital world. Education should not be restricted to marks, degrees or the accumulation of information. It should cultivate critical thinking, independent inquiry, intellectual curiosity, media literacy and the courage to question established assumptions.
The relationship between media and marginalized communities also demonstrates the importance of representation. Media can reproduce dominant cultural values and stereotypes, but it can simultaneously provide spaces for alternative voices and resistance. Therefore, media is both a site of power and a site of contestation.
My own reflection has made me realize that becoming a truly educated person requires a change in the way I consume information. Instead of immediately accepting a viral post, image, video or news story, I should examine its source, evidence, context and representation.
Ultimately, the most important lesson I take from Dilip Barad Sir's discussion is that education is not merely about learning answers; it is about learning how to ask meaningful questions. In an age of information overload and rapidly developing digital technologies, the truly educated person is one who can think critically, question intelligently, recognize structures of power and engage responsibly with culture and media.
Thus, Cultural Studies does not merely teach us how to study media; it teaches us how to read the world critically.
My Overall Reflection
After reading and critically reflecting on Dilip Barad Sir's blog, I have started looking at media, culture and education in a much more critical way. Earlier, I mainly understood media as a source of news, entertainment and communication. Now I realize that media is also a powerful cultural space through which ideas about identity, society, values and reality are continuously produced and circulated.
The connection between media and power has become one of the most important things I have understood from this activity. Dilip Barad Sir's discussion shows that Cultural Studies cannot be separated from the study of power. Media can influence what becomes visible, what receives attention and how particular people or issues are represented. The discussion of Chomsky and Edward Herman's Five Filters of Mass Media, media ownership, advertising, media elite, flak and the construction of a common enemy, made me think more carefully about the structures behind the information I consume.
What has changed for me is that I no longer want to accept media representations automatically.
For example, when I watch a film, I can ask why a particular character is represented in a particular way. If I watch an advertisement, I can ask what idea of beauty, success or happiness it is promoting. If I read a news report, I can ask whose perspective is being presented and what information may have been left out. If I encounter a viral post on social media, I can ask where the information originally came from and whether there is sufficient evidence to support it.
This has made me understand that representation is never simply representation. The way people, communities and social issues are represented can influence how audiences understand them. This is particularly significant for marginalized groups. Repeated stereotypical representations can make certain assumptions appear normal, while alternative representations can challenge those assumptions. At the same time, social media and digital platforms can provide spaces where people can tell their own stories and create alternative narratives.
I also realize that media does not influence only my opinions; it can influence my everyday choices. The advertisements I encounter can affect what I want to buy. Social-media trends can influence what I consider fashionable or desirable. Films and online content can shape my understanding of relationships, lifestyle and social behaviour. Even the topics that appear repeatedly on my screen can influence what I consider important.
The role of algorithms makes this process even more interesting. Sometimes I do not consciously choose the content that I see. After watching or interacting with a particular type of content, I may continue receiving similar content. As a result, I may gradually become surrounded by particular perspectives. This has made me understand that being a media consumer today also requires awareness of the technological systems that organize the information presented to me.
This is where I connect the idea of critical media literacy with education.
For me, education cannot simply mean collecting information, obtaining good marks or completing a degree. These things are valuable, but they are not sufficient. The idea of the "truly educated person" discussed in Dilip Barad Sir's blog has encouraged me to think of education as the development of independent and critical thought. The ability to formulate serious questions, engage in independent inquiry, develop creative autonomy and question established assumptions becomes especially important in the present media environment.
As a student of English Literature, I find this idea particularly relevant. Literature teaches me to read texts, but Cultural Studies encourages me to read the culture surrounding those texts. I can examine a novel, poem, film or advertisement not only for its content but also for its relationship with gender, caste, class, ideology, identity and power.
For me, a truly educated person is therefore not simply someone who knows a large amount of information. A truly educated person is someone who can question information, examine evidence, recognize different perspectives and think independently.
One of the most important habits I want to develop is the ability to pause before accepting information.
If I see a viral claim, I should not believe it simply because many people have shared it. I should ask:
"Is this information true, and how do I know that it is true?"
I can check the original source, compare different reliable sources and distinguish between fact, opinion and interpretation. This is particularly important because social media allows information to circulate extremely quickly.
I have also realized that critical thinking does not mean rejecting everything. Being critical does not mean automatically opposing mainstream media or accepting every alternative viewpoint. An alternative source can also contain incomplete or misleading information. Therefore, critical thinking requires me to examine evidence rather than simply choose the opinion that agrees with me.
This is an important lesson for me because it changes the meaning of intellectual independence. Independent thinking does not mean thinking without any influence; rather, it means becoming conscious of those influences and evaluating them carefully.
The emergence of AI-generated media has made this responsibility even more significant. Images, videos, voices and texts can now be produced or modified through artificial intelligence. Therefore, I cannot always depend on appearance or sound to determine whether something is authentic. I need to pay attention to its source, context and evidence.
This also makes me think differently about my own responsibility as a digital user. I am not only a consumer of media; whenever I share a post, comment on something, upload content or forward information, I also become a participant in the production and circulation of culture. Therefore, media literacy involves not only knowing how to consume information but also knowing how to share information responsibly.
I particularly appreciate the idea that education should lead towards intellectual freedom and creative autonomy. For me, this means that education should not simply teach me what to think; it should help me develop the ability to think, question and reach conclusions through my own critical engagement. This understanding has made me see education as a continuous process rather than something that ends with an examination or degree.
I also understand now that being educated requires self-reflection. I need to question not only media messages but also my own assumptions. Sometimes I may prefer information simply because it confirms what I already believe. Critical thinking requires me to recognize this possibility and remain open to evidence that may challenge my existing understanding.
The most valuable lesson I take from this activity is that Cultural Studies is not limited to the classroom. It can be applied to almost everything I encounter in everyday life. A film, advertisement, Instagram post, YouTube video, news article, meme or AI-generated image can become an object of critical analysis.
For me, becoming a truly educated person today means remaining curious, questioning responsibly, evaluating evidence, understanding representation, recognizing structures of power and being willing to reconsider my assumptions.
I now see media consumption as an opportunity for learning rather than simply a form of entertainment or information gathering. Every media text can make me ask deeper questions about culture and society.
Therefore, I would define a truly educated person in today's media-saturated world as someone who does not simply ask "What am I being told?", but also asks:
"Who is telling me this, how is it being represented, why am I being shown it, whose perspective is missing, and what evidence should I examine before I accept it?"
For me, developing this habit of questioning is one of the most meaningful outcomes of studying Cultural Studies. It has taught me that education is not merely about having answers; it is also about having the intellectual courage to ask better questions.
🌿 KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS BLOG
Media is not neutral
It shapes reality and power
Education is critical
Not just information gathering
Representation matters
Who speaks and who is silenced
Pause before accepting
Verify, question, reflect
Read the world
Cultural Studies beyond classroom
Here is the Video-overview of this blog:
Video: Overview of Cultural Studies, Media, Power and the Truly Educated Person
Here is the Presentation of this blog:
Slide Presentation: Cultural Studies, Media, Power and the Truly Educated Person
📚 References
Barad, Dilip Sir. "Cultural Studies: Media, Power and Truly Educated Person." Dilip Barad | Teacher Blog, 22 Mar. 2017, https://blog.dilipbarad.com/2017/03/cultural-studies-media-power-and-truly.html. Accessed 16 Sept. 2026.
This blog critically explores Cultural Studies: media, power, representation and the truly educated person | MKBU Department of English
Thank you!
No comments:
Post a Comment